Wednesday 8 January 2014

Short Preface for Baptism of Christ

I could not find any pointing for either the extended preface or the short preface for use with the Eucharistic Prayer on the Baptism of Christ, so I have attempted to point the short preface myself. I normally use the music in Common Worship: President's Edition rather than the simple chants in Music for Common Worship II: Music for the President published by RSCM but I did not want it to be too elaborate.
normal type: low note (f)
underlined: reciting note (gis)
italics: lower note (g)
bold: lowest (dis)
And  now we give you thanks for Jesus  Christ our Lord,
whose  willing submission to the way of  right-eous-ness,
is the pattern of our calling to be his people and live in his way.

UPDATE: Gordon Giles suggests that while the text is not quite long enough to fit the usual chanting method, it still works as follows (pitched as in the President's edition; mine above is pitched to my greater comfort):

And now we give you thanks
A - C              B     A      B
for Jesus Christ our Lord
A - C             B - A -   B
Whose willing sub -mis-sion- to-   the way of righ- - teousness
B - - -       -              C - A-G - G-A - C  - A -  A - B-A  - A
is the pattern of our calling to be his pe-ople 
A - C ---                                          B - A - B
and live- in his---------- way
B-   C-A - G - G - A - B - A

I shall be singing the extended preface for Epiphany-tide. I did not get a chance to do so last week because we had a carol service without Eucharist at 10.30am.